SEOUL – South Korea has issued a cyber attack alert after hackers apparently penetrated a number of official websites, including the presidential Blue House, the science ministry said.
“The government can confirm a cyber attack by unidentified hackers that shut down several sites including the Blue House,” the ministry said on Tuesday in a statement, adding that the five-stage national cyber alert had been raised from level one to two.
A number of news media websites and several government agencies, including the office for Government Policy Coordination were also affected by what seemed to be a coordinated attack beginning at 10:45 am (0145 GMT).
The ministry statement did not speculate on who might be responsible.
A number of posts left on the hacked sites claimed to be the work of the global “hacktivist” group Anonymous.
Anonymous denied any involvement on its official Twitter account, but said it had succeeded in hacking a number of media websites on Tuesday.AFP