- Tourists to Quang Ninh rise 8 percent in January
- Northern district gives 2,500 Tet presents to beneficiaries and revolutionary contributors
- Quang Ninh provincial leader works with SE Group
- Quang Ninh province puts operational firefighting ship to sea
- Quang Ninh provincial leader pays Tet visit toTran island
Quang Ninh Museum received an ancient bronze cannon with a weight of 55kg, a length of 88cm and a 5cm diameter gun barrel on March 12, said Tran Trong Ha, director of the museum.
The gun was found 30m underwater at the Van Don old trading seaport in Van Don island district in northern Quang Ninh province.
According to the Vietnam History Museum, the cannon was made during the Nguyen Dynasty 200 years ago. It was cast in a model of Spanish guns used on big ships which docked at the Van Don old port.
Mr Ha added that the discovery marks a new stage for the underwater archeology sector in the northern region of Vietnam.
Translated by Duy Minh